By The Open Group
This summer The Open Group ArchiMate® Forum will make available the latest version of the ArchiMate Specification®, version 3.0, with a series of announcements and events to take place throughout the months of June and July. The official announcement was featured at the IRM Enterprise Architecture Europe Conference in London on June 14. Additionally, a live webinar is scheduled for June 15 to promote the new standard. The webinar will include practical applications for the new standard, as well as its relevance for business modeling and business transformation support. A white paper will also be published and available here. In July, the Monday plenary and tracks at The Open Group Austin 2016 event will be dedicated to speakers, panels and use cases for the new standard.
The ArchiMate Specification is a modeling language that enables Enterprise Architects to describe, analyze and visualize relationships among architecture domains using easy to understand visuals representations. It provides a common language for describing how various parts of the enterprise are constructed and how they operate, including business processes, organizational structures, information flows, IT systems, and technical and physical infrastructures. In a time when many enterprises are undergoing rapid change, ArchiMate models help stakeholders design, assess and communicate those changes within and between architecture domains, as well as examine the potential consequences and impact of decisions throughout an organization.
The latest evolution of the standard continues to improve collaboration across multiple functions including strategists and business executives, enterprise and business architects, portfolio and project managers, information and applications architects, technology stakeholders and solutions architects. New features in the specification include:
- Elements for modeling enterprises at a strategic level, including mapping capabilities, resources and outcomes
- Modeling support for physical materials and equipment
- Improved consistency and structure within the language
- Improved usability and alignment with other standards, such as TOGAF®, BPMN, UML and BMM
This version of the specification will also include refinements such as:
- Improvements and new elements to represent how architectures evolve over time through implementation and migration
- Improved grouping capabilities for connecting different elements to see how they’re related
- Cross-layer dependencies, alignments and relationships (to correlate business applications and technology, for example)
- Mechanisms for customizing the language for specialized or domain-specific purposes and address specific real case situations.
The ArchiMate Specification is unique in that it provides a graphical language for representing enterprise architectures over time, including strategy, transformation and migration planning, as well as the motivation and rationale for the architecture. The standard has been designed to be as compact as possible, yet still usable for most enterprise architecture modeling needs.
Certification programs for version 3.0 of the specification will follow this fall. In the meantime, current certification programs will remain active. Once available, a bridge certification will be also available for those choosing to transition from the current version of the specification to 3.0.
For more on ArchiMate, please visit: http://www.opengroup.org/subjectareas/enterprise/archimate.
@theopengroup @ArchiMate_r #ArchiMate #ogAUS
Comments are closed.