Staff from The Open Group attended the AUSA (Association of the United States Army) Exposition at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington DC, October 14-15, 2019. It was a very impressive exposition with approximately 30,000 attendees from 80 countries. The 700+ exhibits were incredible from Black Hawk Helicopters to huge army tanks and all kinds of sensors. The main event was the press briefing on The Open Group Sensor Open Systems Architecture™ (SOSA) that was organized by Valerie Andrew from Elma Electronic and Chair of the SOSA Outreach Working Group. Gina Peter from Pentek also helped organize this briefing. Gina is the Vice-Chair of the SOSA Consortium Outreach Working Group. Both Valerie and Gina are very active Members of the SOSA Consortium Outreach Working Group.
Media in attendance were given an introduction to SOSA, updates on recent events such as the very successful and first-ever joint Future Airborne Capability Environment™ (FACE) & SOSA Technical Interchange and Expo (TIM) held in Dayton, Ohio in September 2019. They were also made aware of the upcoming Tri-Service Open Architecture Interoperability Demonstration that will be held January 29, 2020 and hosted by GTRI Conference Center in Atlanta,Georgia.
The press briefing included a keynote by Colonel Kevin Finch, U.S. Army, Program Manager Electronic Warfare and Cyber (PM EW&C) and a Member of SOSA. Colonel Finch discussed Modular Open Systems Approaches. He talked briefly about the PM EW&C Strategic Goals and CMOSS Implementation:
- Build New Programs, Near Term (FY20-22)
- Facilitate interoperability among platforms
- Provide flexibility to the maneuver Commander
- Execute Current Programs, Mid-Term (FY20-28)
- Enable integration of 3rd party capabilities
- Provide ability t pace the threat
- Set Conditions for the Future, Far-Term (FY29-34)
- Leverage SOSA to collaborate with industry and expand CMOSS utilization
- Posture programs of record to received CMOSS based capabilities
- Reduce integration risk and mitigate obsolescence challenges
Presentations were also given by:
- John Bowling, Chair of the SOSA Working Group, USAF, Technical Expert Interoperability and Architecture, sharing insight on Acquisition Authority
- Steve Davidson, Vice Chair SOSA Steering Committee, Raytheon, Director, Product Family Development and Open Systems Architecture who discussed Sensor Provider
- Dave Jedynak, Chief Technology Officer, Curtiss-Wright who featured Suppliers
The Open Group is very pleased to have been a part of this dynamic event, showcase the activities of our Membership, and meet so many engaged and informative attendees!
Special thanks to Reggie Hammond, CMP, US Consortium Product Manager, The Open Group, for contributing these great highlights!
http://www.opengroup.org @theopengroup #ogSOSA #ogFACE
Wonderful to see all the progress on the SOSA and FACE platform!
Comments are closed.