By The Open Group Conference Team
For those who are unfamiliar with the service, foursquare is a location-based social networking application for smartphones. Users “check in” at venues using a device-specific application by selecting from a list of venues located nearby based on GPS hardware in the mobile device. Each check-in awards the user points and sometimes “badges.” For those who don’t already have the foursquare app, it is available for download for iPhones, Android phones and BlackBerrys. More information about foursquare can be found here.
The venue for the conference is titled “The Open Group Conference Washington DC, #ogDCA,” and those who check in are eligible for Open Group foursquare campaigns:
On Sunday, July 15, people who attend the pre-conference sessions starting at 3:30 p.m. ET and check in to the conference via foursquare will receive a TOGAF® Pocket Guide or another piece of Open Group swag.
On Monday, July 16 and Tuesday, July 17, attendees who check in to the conference via foursquare before 4:00 p.m. ET Tuesday will be entered to win one of the following prizes.
- Grand prize – a seat at Allen Brown’s table at the Tuesday night networking dinner event on the W Hotel Terrace (5 seats available)
- Consolation prizes – swag from ten of our conference exhibitors.
If you’ve never “checked in” before, it’s pretty simple. Below are some instructions for iPhone users. (Note: The screen shots below illustrate the “check in” process at a different location, not the conference venue and are provided as an example only.
1. Download the Foursquare app.
2. When you get to the conference, simply open the app and a screen will appear showing you where your “friends” have recently checked in.
3. Click the upside-down teardrop emblem in the upper right corner.
4. Choose the “The Open Group Conference Washington DC, #ogDCA,” by tapping the words.
5. Next, write a little something about what you’re doing (eg. “Getting ready to hear a great panel at The Open Group conference.”).
6. Make sure to sync your Foursquare account with Twitter by tapping the bird in the lower right corner of the check in screen (make sure it turns blue).
7. Then press “check in” and wait for the app to finish.
All winners will be chosen at random. Good luck!